The $500 Sylvia K. Burack Scholarship
$500 and a year's subscription to The Writer
The Writer editors
Deadline: March 1, 2005
The Sylvia K. Burack Scholarship is a writing award for a full-time college
student. The scholarship is awarded in memory of Sylvia K. Burack, The Writer's
longtime editor-in-chief and publisher. Burack was known for her dedication to
helping writers and editors.
Must be 18 or older, a full-time undergraduate or graduate student in a
university or college in the U.S. or Canada. Must be enrolled full time in
college in order to receive the award. Verification will be required.
1. Enter a 600- to 800-word essay about a writer or book you turn to again and
again for inspiration. Tell how and why this inspirational treasure influenced
2. The scholarship is open to students in the United States or Canada who are
enrolled full time at a college or university. The winner will be asked to
provide proof of enrollment.
3. Only one entry per student will be accepted.
4. Deadline: Entries must be postmarked by March 1, 2005.
5. Format: Submit your essay with a cover page that states the essay title (do
not use the topic as the title), word count, author's name, address, phone
number and e-mail address. Place only the title (not your name) at the top of
each page of the essay. Entries must be typed and double-spaced on standard
letter-size paper. Number each page. Paperclip the pages together. Do not
6. Send entries to: Sylvia K. Burack Scholarship, The Writer, 21027 Crossroads
Circle, P.O. Box 1612, Waukesha, WI 53187-1612.
7. Entries will not be returned. Do not send originals.
8. The scholarship winner will be announced in May 2005 and will receive $500.
Upon request, The Writer will send sample copies of the magazine to college
teachers who would like to distribute them to their students. For free copies of
the magazine or other materials, or special classroom subscription rates,
contact Elizabeth Runyon at email@example.com
or 262-796-8776, ext. 567.